Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Dave Chappelle appeared on SNL on Nov 7th, 2020.

You can find his monologue on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_VvR_WqNs


I like him as a performer.  I enjoy that type of social commentary with a punch line comedy.  He makes me laugh, he can make me uncomfortable but most of all he causes me to pause and reflect on what he is sharing.  His observations are irreverent, funny, laser sharp and done with just enough heart to take the sting out of what he says.  

He reminds me of ... well, he reminds me of me when I am in a good spiritual place.  He seems to see the absurdity of the all-or-nothing thinking that has grabbed hold of the nation today and also sees his own weird place in it all.  His jokes several months ago about how hard it is to be a liberal now that he is rich had me laughing and nodding at the same time.  I am hardly rich.  However, I live in a gated community in a cozy little house.  I have food on the table and a dog and a cat.  I have a job.  My bills are paid.  I worked damn hard to get where I am right now, giving up a lot of stuff for the promise of some sort of security in my old age and so I am wary of higher taxes or anything that will threaten my hard earned pension and health care. Hardly rich, but (I think) typically middle class white in that I want to help the poor and needy but I do not necessarily want the government to help the poor and needy - and I absolutely recognize the weirdness of that statement.

The high pitched screaming of the left and the right leave me cold.  Simply, irretrievably cold.  I do not like that the latest social media trend of the left to wail about never forgiving racism or whatever phobia they are sure conservative thinkers have - it is trite, it is foolish and it undermines what we need to do right now in this country.  I also resist with all my heart and mind the gnashing of teeth of the right with their vague threats of insurrection and wobbly claims of voter fraud.  Do I think we need to double check to make sure there has been no fraud in this election?  Yes.  Do I think Mr. Trump won?  No.  Do I think this was a planned sting operation masterminded by him to expose 'the swamp' and will result in all of 'them' finally being locked up?  NO.  Just like I do not think he has already arrested 600 people and replaced them with body doubles or that Crissy Tiegen killed her own unborn child for beauty products, I reject the crazy on the right just as I reject the crazy on the left.

I listened to Dave on SNL and giggled and blushed at some 'hit close to home' observations and was struck repeatedly by his quiet call for reason.  Asking us to find a way to forgive each other did not cause a backlash that I am aware of any more than him smiling and telling us whiny white people to 'come get your N----r lessons"  did but I got his point.  We are changing in this country and the Nancy Pelosis and the Mitch McConnells don't seem to get it.  The far left doesn't get it and the far right doesn't get it.  

In California, several very progressive propositions were soundly defeated by the voters.  I don't mean just by a little bit - I mean these ideas were outright rejected, indicating that the loudest voices in the Democratic party right now are being heard and being told to shut the F up by the voters.  Will they stop and listen?  Probably not but they need to because if they do not listen they will find themselves out of jobs.

This weekend, the American Solidarity Party of California will be holding their state convention.  Our party, a pro life party, has room in it for those who lean a little left and lean a little right.  More importantly, we are made up of people who really listen to each other and try our best to stay true to our basic principles of pro life for the whole life.  

If you are interested, you may register up until Friday the 13th through our Facebook page at:


https://www.facebook.com/aspcalifornia/


Find us...register....get involved.  Christian?  Jew? Muslim? Non Believer?  PRO LIFE for the WHOLE LIFE?


We welcome you.


No comments: