Wednesday, November 4, 2020

PRESIDENT WHO????

 This morning, right now, at 0745 on November 4th, no winner of the Presidential Election has been declared.

I was admonished last night to not be flippant and I am going to try to hold to that because I understand people's emotions are raw and everyone is on edge.  There are a certain number of people who are hoping for violence to erupt.  There are a certain number of people convinced the Anti-Christ is about to move into the White House and there are a certain number of people who believe the Anti-Christ has already been there for the past four years. I am not making fun of them; rather, I hold them in my heart because I know they are frightened and they are worried.  Most of all I understand that, at their core, they love the United States of America and their current state of high emotional status is a result of that love.

I have lost a lot of friends during the past year, especially during the Pandemic, because I flat out refused to give in to the fear they peddle.  I have been taught by my Dominican spirituality to try my best to view whatever is happening with the eyes of faith and to push back hard against evil.  I have tried to do so and have not always done it well.  People have walked away from me because I hurt their feelings.  People have walked away from me because they finally figured out that I am Pro Life, I believe in ALL the Teachings of Holy Mother Church (not just the feel good ones that Fr. Martin holds up nor the hard line, stand strong ones of Dr. Taylor Marshal and his followers).  Some people have woken up to the fact that I am not just Catholic, I am Catholic Out Loud during a time when being that means vilification, abandonment and ridicule.  That's cool.  Hey, I am a Forty Niner Faithful too.  If there is anyone used to ridicule?  It's Us.

Today I am going to take a long view of the results that have not yet been decided.  I am going to look at how voting my conscience and trying hard to apply the principles of my Faith to politics has played out. 

My candidate for President is Brian Carroll.

Last night, this nugget appeared in one of our groups on FB:

What does that mean?

It means that the Republican Party and the Democratic Party has lost ground in this country.  It means that, if they are smart, they will walk as swiftly away from the far extremes that have taken them hostage and ask themselves why they lost people like me.  IF they want to understand what is happening today they need to pause, reflect and ask themselves what they did wrong to drive someone like me out of their ranks.

During the confirmation hearings for ACB people on the left wailed that all the rights of women were about to be trampled.  Last night I read a post by someone I would consider an intelligent woman who is convinced that people want homosexuality to be a crime and women in America to be denied credit cards and THAT is what they mean when they chant "Make America Great".   I did not comment because I recognized (for once, good for me) that she was spewing on social media in much the same way we used to just spew and wail to our girlfriends over the phone.  I get it.  I get that she is passionate and convinced she is right but she is also the reason people like me didn't just leave, we RAN from her political party.  We don't do hysteria and whether that hysteria is fueled by QAnon rumors of baby sacrifice or Antifa rumors of military coups we, the people who left her party and the GOP, did so because we were tired of saying, "But wait, can't we talk about this?" to a room full of people refusing to budge, refusing to listen, refusing to give an inch lest they be somehow disloyal to "The Cause".

As I write this I have no idea who will be the President for the next four years.  I don't know if the Hyde Amendment will stand.  I don't know if my taxes will skyrocket and I don't know if my stocks will tank.

What I do know is I will continue to work for consensus while holding fast to The Truth.  I will continue to insist that women be given all the information they need to make an INFORMED choice.  I will continue to advocate for a strong police force that reflects the community in which I live.  I will continue push for a local economy that supports small business and gives access to housing and medical care to anyone willing to work hard and contribute and for those who cannot do that?  I will advocate for compassion and care in the same way St Teresa of Calcutta did for the poor.  I will support our military.  I will stand against those who impose their will on others with terror.  I will, in other words, continue to do my best to be the type of American citizen that brings honor to the memory of those who have gone before me.

I will continue to be a Niner Faithful

Those who are interested in The American Solidarity Party and walking away from the Duopoly?  Please check us out.  We are not perfect but I believe we reflect the honest ideas of the majority of the American People.

https://solidarity-party.org/







No comments: