Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Kids are All Right

Today I watched two classes of my students receive Our Lord in the Eucharist for the first time.  I saw a packed house - relatives and friends - dressed to the nines and excited as their little ones approached the altar to receive Him.  The tears were plenty, the smiles genuine and I am once again overwhelmed with the blessings of my life.

It has been such a great year.  I have watched these tiny Catholics mature and grow in ways average adults can't seem to master.  I watched a third grader - a boy who by any standards in the public school system should be medicated into quiet, feminine type behavior - approach the priest with such reverence that my heart stopped for a moment. 

I remembered how he burst out one day in class, "THE EUCHARIST!  IT'S WHAT MAKES US CATHOLIC FOR GOD'S SAKE".

The little girls in their white dresses and veils, the boys in their suits and ties (I swear, if men realized how fabulous they all look in suits and ties they would wear them swimming) and the families - some broken, so fragile but all there together to celebrate that one thing that other denominations cannot claim - The Eucharist.

Once again my gratitude for my life is overwhelming.  I cannot imagine it getting any better than it is right now and that means that I know, without a doubt, Jesus has my back.

Thank you, God, for my life today exactly as it is...I would not change a thing....except maybe enough money to remodel the bathroom in the new house....

GO NINERS!

No comments: