Friday, May 11, 2018

Drive By's and Anti Catholicism

Every once in awhile someone posts comments on my blog that are obvious cut-and-paste attacks on the Catholic Church.  I always publish those posts.  I do so because I am and American citizen and I believe in the First Amendment of the US Constitution and because, most of the time, the person posts the same tire old "The Catholic Church is False Theology" rants that show they have limited knowledge of scripture and history. 

Today I am blessed to work with a doctor of theology who is both a graduate of SES and a convert to the Catholic Church.  He studied under Norman Geisler.  He is a Thomist.  He found the fault in the Protestant thinking and, like so many before him, found the Catholic Church.

Author of the book Evangelical Exodus (https://evangelicalexodus.com/), my boss has dealt with many of these arguments and done so with love and compassion.  He does not shame the posters, he talks with them because he understands that underneath all the bluster and anger and nasty name-calling, there is fear.

The fear is this: what happens if, at the end of my life, I find myself standing in front of Jesus Christ and He asks me the same question asked of St Paul on the road to Damascus?

I firmly believe in God's Mercy and so I am not nearly as afraid of meeting Him for my judgement as others outside of the Catholic Church.  While they claim to know they are going straight to heaven, their attacks on the Church reveal the underlying anxiety not felt by a Faithful Catholic. Catholics in full communion with The Church, know they cannot earn their way into heaven but that there are specific actions required of a Christian in order to be recognized at the end of our lives.  We want to be in the group He recognizes because of how we lived.  We do not want to cry out, "LORD, LORD!" only to have Him say, "Sorry...don't recognize you".

Now, why would I make the claim that these people are really afraid that they are wrong?

I make that assertion based on my experience with human beings - and my experience is no one defends their position with hatred an attacks if they believe their position is solid.

I do not need to troll the internet looking for people who claim to have the truth and defame the Catholic Church.  I do not need to leave a comment on their blogs - without my name, of course - that is hysterically angry in its delivery.  It is not necessary.

I am fine.  I am fine where I am and with my understanding that belief in Jesus means belief in His Church.

Perfection is not claimed.  Assurance of Salvation is not claimed.  I know I have work to do because Holy Scripture has told me that Faith without it is not Faith.  So today, as I put together the programs for First Holy Communion Mass tomorrow, I can relax in the knowledge that I am Home, I am safe.

I am saved.  I am being saved.  I hope to be saved in the end.

God bless you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.