Monday, August 5, 2024

Claiming Yourself

 This past weekend was my fiftieth (that's right - 50) high school reunion.  Of course I went.  Of course I was nervous. Of course I had a lovely, lovely time!  It was wonderful seeing people and how little we have really changed beyond growing up and becoming good adults.  We were good kids.  Silly, dopey, a tiny bit rebellious but all in all we were good kids and we have entered into our 'twilight years' looking pretty darn good.  We are nice people.  I am so glad I went.

For many years I struggled with who and what I am, careful to reject labels that seem too trite.  However, some of those labels do fit today. I am a woman who speaks her heart. I am someone who tries her best to tell the truth all the time, at least according to my own perception.  I am willing (today) to listen to another's perspective and to give them the honor they deserve as children of God.  I will respect their thoughts on a subject but I reject the idea that their reality is the only one worth honoring.  Mine is worth a nod or two of love as well.  If that means our worlds cannot coexist, so be it. As an old friend would say, "No harm, no foul".

Getting together with people I had not seen in a long, long time was a balm to my soul.  It has been a long season of loss for me, and I am not just talking football.  I think, and I do not mean to tempt fate, that I am on the road to healing from all that loss.  I am making real strides.  I can feel sunlight.  I can smell roses.  Life it good.

Thank you, God, for helping me walk this path.

No comments: