Sunday, August 6, 2023

What To Do, What To Say

 Trying to decide what to write about is always a problem.  There are tons of great issues out there to wax philosophical about but the reality is that no one really cares what one woman's opinion is today.  Politics, sports, religion, economics - no one really cares.  What people really care about is whether or not they have a shot at being the eternal victim.

The need to be oppressed is permeating every aspect of our society.  This means, of course, that one must have an oppressor.  If you have an oppressor then you not only have someone to hate but you have someone (or someones) to focus your ire upon.  This relieves one of the responsibility of looking at either their own behavior or the behavior of their particular King/Queen and being quietly objective.   It is not necessary to ask the hard questions of yourself if you can point outward and say, "It is their fault!" OR "But they are WORSE than me and NO ONE ELSE CARES".

I made a choice over three decades ago to get and stay sober by rejecting that philosophy and trying my best to accept personal responsibility for any wrongs I have done.  Over the years that has evolved.  I get to continue to do that, of course, but I also have to make sure I do not take on the responsibility of other people's bad behavior.  If I do that too much, I become a doormat.  I do not want, nor would my God want, that of me.  I am a woman of grace and dignity.  

So while I must be willing to live this life, I must never expect anyone else to live this life.  I have something that works for me.  I am willing to teach others how to do it but I cannot expect they will do it.  

And if I am okay with this life?  Then that has to be its own reward.

No comments: