Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Just how DOES one pronounce CALGARY?

 The past weekend was a very positive experience.  Coming off days of high stress I am grateful for the chance I had to spend time with the good people of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  I found out I was pronouncing the name of their fair city incorrectly (or was I?  Some of the natives did put the emphasis on the first syllable) but other than that?  I seemed to fit right in.

I had the opportunity to speak with a gentleman who had been dealing successfully with his disease of alcoholism for 68 years.  I am impressed.  You should be impressed as well.  For those of you who still believe Alcoholism is NOT a disease, I feel sorry for you.  What I saw in this man's eyes was the twinkle that comes from accepting the Truth, and then trying his best to live it one day at a time for over six decades.  If I am forced to choose between the smug, judgmental pronouncements of the anti-disease people and the warm, happy smile of Jim S. in Calgary, guess which one I am going to choose?

Retirement is supposed to begin at the end of the month.  It seems as though I will be transitioning into a part-time, at will, position until the new person is hired.  I like that because it means I get to keep my really cute name tag and my key.

Life is better this week.  There are still mountains to assess for either climbing or tunneling through but all in all, the landscape seems peaceful.  Yes, I still have conversations with people who are not in the room but most of the time I am able to change those conversations with them into a conversation with my Creator.  Eventually I get to transition that to an honest prayer, an offering to that Creator of this creature who is suffering the effects of her own goofy brain.

May God continue to bless us all - one day at a time.  And may the people of Calgary continue to flourish - no matter how they pronounce their city's name!

No comments: