Monday, November 25, 2019

Dressing for the King and Being 10-1 in the NFL!

This past Sunday was the Feast of Christ the King and we (my parish) celebrated by having our Tabernacle moved back to its proper place - in the center of the Sanctuary.  When you walk into our church now, your eyes are first drawn to the large rendition of Our Savior on the cross, crucified (1COR 1:23), then to the beautiful marble altar and then to the Tabernacle behind the altar.  To the side is a red Sanctuary Lamp, lit to show that the TRUE Presence of Jesus Christ is there, in the Tabernacle.  We genuflect because we acknowledge this Presence - HIS Presence.  The King of the Universe, He who holds it all together for us and who loves us with an amazing love.

Our pastor, Father Sam, gave a solid homily about attending the Niner/Seahawk game (oh the disappointment!) and having to go before the game to a store to buy a hat.  He did so because he knew he was going to a game, that he was going to root for the Niners and that he needed to dress appropriately in the Red and the Gold.

Father Sam tied that in to the idea of how one should dress when attending Holy Mass.

Now, I am not the clothes police.  I absolutely understand that not everyone can afford a Sunday Suit or Dress wardrobe.  I also get it that styles change and sometimes we do not have someone in our lives that can guide us as to proper dress.  I have to send home letters to people all the time asking them to tell those whom they have chosen to be their child's Godparent to dress as though they are going to a job interview at a bank.  If I don't I will be stuck with telling someone wearing baggy shorts and a baseball cap that his clothing is inappropriate for Church.  I have, on the other hand, been fine with a clean white shirt and a pair of clean jeans.  The key is compassion and being willing to not get stuck with a set of rules in your head that chase people away.

The point it to show respect to Jesus, Our King.  I ask myself if how I am dressing shows Him that I understand He is my Lord, my King, my Guide through this world.  If it is not, I ask myself why?  Is it personal rebellion or is it because I want to prove a point?  Either one means He is no longer occupying the center of my soul which should be the Tabernacle of the Holy Spirit - God.  I try to convey this to those I am charged with shepherding through various Rites and Rituals.  I relate it to my love for my football team.

It is no secret to my students that I am a huge football fan.  There is nothing weird or idolatrous or wrong about my love for the San Francisco Forty -Niners.  My goodness, this has been an exciting season and we are 10-1!   My question would be how can you NOT be a football fan?  I mean...come ON....

What I hope I convey to all of you is this:  In my heart I put God first, His Church that HE founded second, my sobriety, then my family and then football.  I know that without Him, my life is nothing.  I cannot love Him without choosing His Church (no matter how inconvenient it may be).  Without His Church I do not receive the grace I need from the Sacramental Life offered to stay sober, one day at a time.  Without sobriety, I have no family and certainly no football....

I am having a lot of fun this season because my team is successful.  I stuck with them through many a hard year.   I have a full LIFE, however, because I stick with Jesus no matter what.  His Church has gone through some pretty ugly scandals.  I do not leave.  The successor to Peter is not my favorite Pope.  I do not leave.

I do not leave because my eyes are focused on the image of Christ Crucified...and drawn to the Tabernacle centered behind the marble altar.

I do not leave because of Him.


********************************************************************************

Are you tired of being told that you are a bad Catholic because you cannot stomach voting for the present choice for a specific party?

Are you tired of being told that issues like immigration, housing, healthcare, military issues, education and the job market are not important because the only issue that matters is 'pro life'?

GOOD NEWS:  being Pro Life is so much more than being ANTI Abortion!  If you feel left out of the political process there is an alternative to the two main political parties  and it happens to line up with our Catholic Faith.  Check out:

 https://solidarity-party.org/

Look for us on Twitter, with the hashtag #WholeLife

We are a party that you may be able to call home!

No comments: