Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Once More, May We PLEASE use the gift of REASON

 The death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg was not unexpected.  The woman had been fighting cancer for quite some time and, I suspect, the fight was an exhausting one.  I will pray for her soul.  Though she did not define freedom for women in the same way that I define it, she was to be admired for her intelligence, her wit, her dedication to education and her tenacity.  My hope is that she made peace with God before her death.

The reaction of both her detractors and her supporters is one to be expected today.  The memes done with babies in the womb or her face covered with the word evil were matched by the statements of fear and dread and OH MY GAWD THE SKY IS FALLING.  It's the way we do things today.  No one stops and thinks, we all react.  

I am committed to trying hard to eliminate my tendency to knee-jerk react to stuff that happens in the world.  Sometimes I am able to do it, sometimes I have to apologize and back peddle and admit I could have done a better job at pausing before my mouth opened and words spewed out.  I am getting better. 

How do I know?

I have not posted or social medial or spoken to anyone about the idea of a Supreme Court Nominee being put forward by Mr. Trump - until now.

The GOP famously blocked one of Mr. Obama's nominees, using the reasoning that it was too close to the election and that the next president should do the nominating.  Now, faced with the same situation, Mr. Trump and the Republican Controlled Senate is planning on making sure RBG's replacement is nominated and accepted before the election.

Do I think it is right to do so?  

I think, rather than right or wrong, it is an example of the corrupt politics practiced on both sides of the aisle and it does not surprise me at all.  It is another example of why I am now a member of the American Solidarity Party and why I chose that party - a party firmly rooted in the principles upheld by the teachings of my Faith Tradition.

The Democrats are in a tither about one of the possible nominees - Amy Coney Barrett.  Their worry?  Why abortion, of course, and the fact that she is not just a Catholic but a Catholic Out Loud - a mother of 8 who believes that The Church teaches Truth.  She does her best to live that Truth and of course that means the beloved issue of Abortion Without Restriction becomes the point in which the left begins to wail and gnash their teeth, rend their garments and otherwise flip their wigs.

Hey, the far right is no better.  They are convinced victory is within their grasp and Roe v. Wade will be overturned and peace will be restored to the land and all unborn babies will be saved from the moment Mrs. Barrett is sworn in (if she is sworn in) to take her place on the Highest Court of the Land.  

I would bet dollars to donuts that none of the people currently screaming on social media platforms have ever done one bit of research on Mrs. Barrett.  And I will further bet that Kamala Harris will try to insert a religious litmus test into the hearings for the sole reason of stirring up the fear of the left against the Catholic Church.  She is big on that - and she should be censored for it.

I did a little bit of research on Mrs. Barrett.  She clerked for such notable jurists as Laurence Silberman and Antonin Scalia.  The biggest objection the left has to her is a letter she wrote TO THE BISHOPS that expressed her personal views on same-sex marriage.  

Mrs. Barrett has expressed her view on Roe v. Wade as well - and her view will not make the far right happy.  Why?

Her view is that it is settled law - and her problem today is with late term abortion.

In other words, Mrs. Barrett's views on abortion are this: personally she abhors it (as do I) and  late term abortions should be eliminated whenever possible - a position that is currently held by 70% of the American people.

Did you read that, Democrats?  SEVENTY PERCENT OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

As our medical ability to save children in the womb advances, the need and excuses for a late term - read second trimester - medical abortion disappear.  THIS is where our medical efforts should be focused.  THIS is healthcare and reproductive rights.  Eliminate the chances of a child dying in the second trimester of its life, advance science to the point where a child can be saved from disease or 'disability' and make that type of treatment available to all women regardless of the wealth or status and you have a world that is more in line with the Will of its Creator.

I once had a self-proclaimed "super Catholic" try to tell me that a miscarriage is an abortion and so, try to muddy the political waters.  She is quite proud of being fully against Church Teachings on this point and could care less that it means she receives Our Lord in the Eucharist in an unworthy manner.

As a post-abortive woman who has had to heal from the horrible choices I made as well as a woman who lost a child to a miscarriage, I find her position sickening.  She knows that - and she knows she hurts women every time she utters her foolishness - but by golly she gets to keep her progressive liberal card current so she is gonna say it.

I once had a 'Conservative Catholic' tell me that I should never be a Catechist because of the sinful life I brought with me when I returned to the Church.  Apparently, to this guy, the Sacrament of Reconciliation only works for those people who stand for the National Anthem.  I thanked him for his time and his sharing and I keep him in prayer along with my friend, the Super Catholic.

My point is this - before either side begins to gather their weapons and rattle their shields, they need to take a breath.  They need to remember that what they WANT is not always what they are going to GET and that, if they ARE a believer, they need to demonstrate their trust in a power greater than themselves once in awhile.  They need to do some research, listen to something other than CNN or FOX and ask some questions.  

They need to remember that the people we elected work for US.  We need to DEMAND that they behave in a way that reflects the dignity of their office.

Most importantly, we who are believers have got to keep these people in our prayers.  We cannot give in to panic or fear or glee or other childish behavior.  We have to behave in a way that shows we are trying to align our wills with the Will of God.

I have no idea if Mrs. Barrett will be nominated.  What I do know is that, as an American citizen, I want her nomination and anyone else's to be considered with cool reason and not hysterics.  I want the US Constitution to be honored.  I want my representatives to behave with grace and dignity.

This is what my hope is and this is what I will pray for and I hope you, as a believer, will join me.


No comments: