Monday, October 14, 2019

The Power of Prayer

There seems to be an ongoing discussion about whether or not praying for anything is even necessary.  The idea that God knows what is best for me, that He knows my heart and that He will only give me what I can handle is all true.  This reasoning is used by some to not pray.  I mean, why bother, right?

Others point to places in Holy Scripture where Jesus Himself tells us that those who ask receive, or where He points to the Persistent Widow as a model of prayer.   This would seem to bolster the idea of praying for what we want - 'Storm Heaven, Girls'  the Sisters would tell us - so that God may grant us His favor by rewarding us with what we are asking.

So which is it?  Do we pray or not?  Is it wrong to 'name it and claim it'?

I have been actively praying for a healing in my family for the last several years.  Without going into a lot of detail there has been ruptures that needed repair.  For the past five years I have been sending a weekly petition to the National Shrine of St. Jude, known by us Catholics and the Patron Saint of Lost Causes, in my name in the name of my mother.  I have frequently reminded Our Lady of my wants and desires so that she may take my petition to her Son, as a good Queen Mother does for her subjects.

Last Friday night I saw a lot of good things happen and my first thought was, "Thank you".

Is everything hunky dory?  No.  There are still some cracks and fissures that need to be addressed by the Carpenter Himself but I have seen amazing progress.  The biggest has been the willingness of others to start to maybe consider that it might kind of be a good idea to forgive someone for acting like a jackass.  That alone is huge in my family because we will carry a grudge to the moon and back.

However, my prayers will continue.  I believe that praying to God is not about getting what I want - it is about willingly opening my heart to Him.  It is about making myself vulnerable before Him, being honest and open.  The fact that He already knows does not diminish the emotional gift I give myself and Him by acknowledging my sorrows, my joys and my wishes for a serene life for my loved ones.

It also soothes my soul and reminds me that I am loved no matter how it might feel during the day.  God is my refuge.  When I deliberately move closer to Him I feel solace and peace.

I will never understand His timing or why He allows certain evils in the world.  What I can do, however, is trust in Him.  By doing so I remove the burden of trudging this road of happy destiny all by myself.

Yesterday I got to watch my Niners beat the Rams and go 5-0 on the season.  I got to watch with my Mom.  We were both so excited at the end of the game we would laugh and dance.

For that, dear Lord, I am truly grateful.

I will continue to praise You, to request things of You and to enlist the help of the Saints and Angels asking them to pray with me and for me as I walk through this life.  And I thank you, Lord, for my life right now.  It is wonderful, it is awkward, it is painful and it is scary - and I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could.

No comments: