Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sometimes all you can do is wait

The hip replacement went well.  I am still healing an will be for awhile.  The acute pain is gone replaced by the dull, manageable ache that is to be expected when one has had a body part replaced.

Little victories:

I walk over 1000 steps a day now and can walk without assistance for short distances.

I can step up and over the little 'edge' (about 6 inches) into the shower.

I only have to take a pain pill once in awhile, usually at night after a day of walking, exercising and pushing myself to do a little more.

Little set backs:

Sitting in the shower and crying because I can't drive yet and still have to depend upon other people.

Finishing Game of Thrones and wanting them to have come up with a better ending or just say you are going to do a movie already and get ON WITH IT.

Not being able to hose water the backyard because I can't walk back their yet.  Too dangerous.

I have been reading and watching television and catching up on movies I missed.  I even watched a rerun of SNL with Jason Mamoa and finally got the Dothraki jokes I did not get the first time I watched it.

People have been kind, supportive and lovely - ready to help with all those little things I cannot do.  I cannot clean the litter box.  I cannot change the sheets on my bed.  I cannot drive.  Did I mention that already?

My dog refuses to leave my side.  He will not sleep in his kennel.  Instead he sleeps on the bed next to me.  I believe he has found his calling:  He is Rob Roy MacDuff, first of his name, Ruler of the Copper Creek Kingdom, Protector of the Realm and Hand of the Queen....the Dire Scottie of House Shaw....

Yeah, I did just watch all of Game of Thrones...how could you tell?

Recovering is boring, there is no way around the fact that I still have to take it easy and not undo all the hard work of my surgeon by not letting the tendons anchor and the muscles activate.  I have to practice patience, which is a virtue and really would be easier to display if I could drive myself to meetings or the store....but I cannot drive yet....in case I forgot to mention that to you.

Please keep me in prayer.  Pray that I do what I counsel others to do - listen and follow directions.

At least until I can drive again.

No comments: