Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Living those Darn Beatitudes - NOT FUN

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10
 
I hurt a friend yesterday with my blog post. 
 
I expressed an opinion about a statement made on FaceBook. 
 
No, wait - I did not express an opinion - I stood up for Truth.  I referenced a posting the person had made and I disputed it.  I spoke to the struggles with sin that I share with the woman and how I know how difficult it is to accept God's Authority.
 
Apparently, that was humiliating for her and for that I am sorry.
 
What I am not sorry for, however, is standing up for Jesus Christ.
 
People can - and have and continue to - say that I am a horrible person because of that blog post.  I am not a true Christian because I was mean, I 'subtweeted' rather than tried to shadow an identity. 
 
I showed my writing to my mentor, my spiritual director and my writing mentor.  The writer shared an interesting story with me.
 
During the financial meltdown of the mid 2000's, a bunch of his friends mortgaged their homes to purchase other ones in an effort to get rich in Real Estate.  Many of them lost their shirts (literally, in some cases) when the economy went south and the bubble burst.  One of them shared with him the intimate details of his financial debacle and my friend used that experience as a foundation for a series of articles he wrote for a national magazine. 
 
Like me, he spoke in specifics but he never mentioned the person's name or the area of the country in which they lived.
 
The series of articles won an award and cost him a friendship.  The guy was convinced EVERYONE knew he was the subject of the article.
 
"Leslie", My professor told me, "if you think the phrase 'self-absorbed' applies only to drunks you are sadly mistaken".
 
I stand by what I wrote yesterday.  I hope the person who is so angry with me right now finds peace and comes to the realization that, when the chips were down, it was me stood by them when others did not.
 
But if that does not happen, and our friendship is over, I must take comfort in knowing that I stood up for Jesus and Truth.
 
He said that I would be persecuted, hated and vilified for doing so and by golly...He was right.
 
 

1 comment: