Thursday, March 1, 2012

Aunt of a (future) Army Ranger? Oh and Good bye Sleepy Jean!

When I was a young and foolish girl, I thought I would some day marry and have six children and be the kind of Catholic earth mother popular in the 1970(s).  Instead, my life's journey has been rocky and sad, smooth and triumphant.  I fell from grace - hard - and crawled back to Holy Mother Church by way of 12 Steps and 12 Traditions.  I have received absolution for my mortal sin of killing my own children and been welcomed home as a Prodigal Daughter, realizing now that God my Father was scanning the horizon for me all along and just waiting for me to come home.

So now, of course, I am an old widow without children and constantly aware that people like me are not often valued in the secular world.  Unfortunately, we are sometimes overlooked by other members of the Body of Christ as well; however, I am very aware that I am now a Persistent Widow whose prayers are needed (and sought) by many.  I am honored to be asked to pray for people's intentions.  I always think to myself, "Do they realize who they are asking to pray for them?" and figure it is probably for the best that they NOT know all about me lest they run screaming from the room.

Yesterday I got to send money, birthday money, to my soldier in Germany.  He has re-enlisted and he told me that his hopes are that he will be accepted into Army Ranger School.  This is both good news and scary news.  There will always be a part of me that wishes he would simply come home and become a high school history teacher, though I guess when one considers how dangerous public schools have become that might not be a good idea. 

I am very proud of Ryan.  He is as close to a child as I will ever have (still living here on earth).  Ryan and his younger brother, Stephen, both wish to serve their country as Army Rangers.  Ryan, of course, is already a combat vet having served in the War on Terror in Afghanistan.  Stephen is still preparing for adulthood, graduating this year from Stanislaus Military Academy and beginning his local career as a member of the Civil Air Patrol Squadron 50 in Modesto.

Golly, I am proud of both of them.  God has blessed me with these children, allowed me to be a part of their lives even when some of the adults around them have tried to separate us or make me feel bad for having a part in their development.  It is one of the best things I have ever done, being their Auntie.

So while some members of The Church might forget us lonely people sitting all by ourselves in the pew, it is nice to know that we have a purpose.  And I would challenge anyone who sees the little old lady all by herself to remember that she may have been instrumental in someones life; she may have been the one to tell them stories, sing them songs, go over homework and drive them to practice - not in place of their parents but WITH their parents.

I also want to say good bye to Davy Jones - my first rock and roll love.  One of the members of the iconic boy band of the 1960's The Monkees....Davy was the cute one, the British one, the little one....and he died yesterday at the age of 66.

Amazing - Keith Richards outlives someone ELSE....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post:) I love how you always give thanks for all the blessings in your life!
Good luck to Ryan!

and the Keith Richards line cracked me up.

I fondly remember being in 3rd grade and wearing my green miniskirt and white go-go boots to walk over to my friend's house to watch The Monkees...good heavens,I'm old :)
and my fave Monkee tune was 'Last Train to Clarksville'.