Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Rising of The Moon

If they aren't able to destroy the desire for freedom, they won't break you. They won't break me because the desire for freedom, and the freedom of the Irish people, is in my heart. The day will dawn when all the people of Ireland will have the desire for freedom to show.
It is then we'll see the rising of the moon.
—final lines of the final entry of Bobby Sands' hunger strike diary

**********************************

HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY, EVERYONE!

I am happy to announce that I have made a decision to present myself for inquiry into becoming a Lay Dominican.

I get to start with the meetings - once a month, second Saturday at St Joe's - in April.

This has been a long time coming for me - I felt drawn to the Carmelites and to the Franciscans. Even the Jesuits (they are still Catholic, right? HA HA HA). Ultimately, what drew me closer to The Dominican Rule is the emphasis on study, on Faith and Reason - on the love of Holy Scripture and philosophy and the charism of teaching and preaching.

So we will see what happens. It is a big committment and I am a graveyard shift worker. I may not be able to do the deal, but I am going to try.

Ryan is due home June 20 - please pray that he will arrive safely back in Modesto.

I also ask for prayers for my family.

Freedom, without limits, is not true freedom....it is license.