Thursday, November 19, 2009

OH FOR THE LOVE OF.....

So, the holidays are about to pounce.

And I do mean 'pounce'.

The past two weeks were spent in a frenzy of activity trying to get the most important part of a project at work done before the deadline of November 15. I made it - with the help of a fantastic crew of clerks - and now have to start on the really tedious stuff (double checking, counting, faxing, copying....all the really cool 'clerky' stuff) and decided to reward the women with something very simple. Bagels, fruit and cream cheese. I mean, how simple is that?

And apparently I p'o'd the RD.

See, there is a fundamental disconnect between how I manage and supervise and how THEY manage and supervise. I am sure, in the grand scheme of things, they are more successful in the eyes of the world.

I am used to that: what the world values is toughness and mean spirited "that's what you get paid to do" management skills.

This is valued despite the fact that a myriad of research over the past 30 years has shown this to be the least effective way to manage people - especially people who are younger than the Baby Boomers (we still have a bit of our parents' values).

This is valued despite the thousands of dollars spent, by businesses and government, to send their employees to training that specifically tells them NOT to use that form of supervision.

So, I am once again in the dog house at work.

To tell the truth, I am thinking of painting and putting up pictures - the dog house is becoming pretty darn familiar, after all, so I might as well be comfortable.

No comments: