Monday, November 3, 2008

As the Day Approaches

“The accumulation of all powers legislative, executive and judiciary in the same hands, whether of one, a few or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.” "– James Madison, Federalist #47
****************************************

One of the most difficult aspects of faith for someone like me is to trust that no matter what is happening in the world, it is happening in God's World.

Father Corapi reminds us continuously that God's ways are so far above our ways as 'the heavens are above the earth'. Now, when I am listening to a good preacher (like Father Corapi, for instance) I can be stirred to great emotional heights by those words. I mean, come on! Doesn't that sound wonderful? It is inspiring! I have nothing to really worry about, right? Just because I do not understand something does not mean God is not in charge.

When I teach to an RCIA class that 'understanding' a doctrine or dogma is not required to accept it, I see their faces light up. Does it really matter that I can barely comprehend the incredible mystery of God made man? Of God being able, through His Grace and Power, to work through the weak frail body of a man and turn bread and wine into His Own Body and Blood? Absolutely not! What matters is that I believe, I accept and I act on that belief and acceptance. When I get to heaven, hopefully I will understand....but until then, all that is required of me is that I trust and I believe.

One of my students said, a few years back, that when St. Peter looked at Jesus and asked, "Where else am I to go?" it was an incredible moment in the life of a regular, middle class fisherman with a family and a business. Yet even St Peter, with this wondrous act of faith and acceptance, did not just leap forward and start gnawing on Jesus' leg. He did not understand this entire "you have to eat My Flesh" thing but Peter just went, "Whatever" and figured Jesus would explain it when it was time for it to be explained.

Now, if I can believe and accept and be ready to die for The Eucharist, when so many Protestants scorn me as an idol worshipper, then why would I worry about who or what is going to win the election on Tuesday?

Look, I would like nothing more for the next president of my country to be a man of strong faith and morals, who believes that a society that does not defend its most vulnerable members with its entire heart and soul is a society that is rotting from the inside out. However, I cannot believe that the end of life as I know it is only two or three days away...because, God is either all or God is nothing.

I will not become one of those people who spends the next four years writing vitrolic letters to the editor about the evil in the White House. Nor will anyone see me demand that the next president and his henchmen be duckwalked out of the White House under armed guard, lined up and hung on the south lawn because they allowed the limits of human decency to be tested, morality to be shredded and lawmakers decide who are considered valuable enough to live and die. I have had to read that kind of garbage on The Hive about George W Bush and all it does is bore me to tears.

Instead, I am going to make a vow to double my prayer efforts and up my volume: to be a Catholic Out Loud when it comes to what is truly right and truly wrong in the world. And I am going to trust that God knows what He is doing.

All is in the Hands of a Loving and Merciful Father. The darker the night, the more brightly the stars can shine...and those of us who are going to cling to The Father and The Holy Mother Church are going to be those shining stars. People will curse us, because the light is going to get in a lot of their eyes and cause some discomfort but you know what? Nothing short of Heaven is what I want for me and my loved ones...for all the people of the earth, if truth be known. So that means I have got to trust that God knows what He wants and is doing what is necessary (and what is not) to achieve His Holy End.

I have to Jesus. I have to...because without Him I am nothing.

And I think I matter too much to be a nothing.

So do you....

No comments: