Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Offering Myself to God

 One of my more difficult choices in life was made easier when I began to understand the difference between surrendering to God  and offering myself to God.  

Raised by parents who survived the Great Depression, WW2 and the societal upheavals that followed both of these historical events the idea of 'surrender' was difficult to swallow.  I mean, okay, I got it but it seemed somehow wrong. People tried all types of positive 'spins' on the definition (my favorite remains 'choosing to go over to the winning side) but the word stuck in my craw.  

The choice to offer myself to God is more palatable to me.  By choosing to deliberately and intentionally offer my heart, my body, my mind, my soul, everything that make me me to my Creator I am doing two things: recognizing my autonomy as a creature with free will and exercising that gift in a positive way. 

By turning myself to God and saying, "This.  This that You created and you set forth in the world to discover, learn, grow, stumble, fall and love, all This I humbly offer to You" I have chosen to become a Daughter of the Most High in a deeply personal way.  I can continue, every day, to make this offering and I can take comfort in knowing that this choice pleases God.

Today I offer myself to God and I do so without reservation.  I trust.  I take comfort.  I hope with all my heart that any actions I take will be in alignment with His Holy Will.

Amen

No comments: