Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Liz Cheney is Pro Life

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzm9_vthFo



I listened to this interview and was not really impressed other than her subtle distinction between being called Pro Life as opposed to Anti Abortion.

Why does this matter?

I am anti abortion.  I don't like it, I think it is evil and I speak from the perspective of a post-abortive woman.

But if all I am is anti abortion, then I am missing the most important thing about this issue.  And that is why I always tell people that I am PRO LIFE -  not just anti abortion.

WHY

I know that people who deal in philosophies believe that it is the idea that a woman does not have a right to determine what she will do with the human being inside her womb that is important.  The whole 'my body, my choice' thing which, of course, flies in the face of science.  It isn't my body.  It's someone else's body.  Yes, it is dependent upon my body for a short period of time but that is the issue - does the human growing inside me have a right to continue to grow no matter what it looks like, what might be wrong with it or what its sex is or what lead to its conception?  

 I believe that the majority - the VAST majority - of women do not choose to kill that human being because it is growing inside our bodies at an inconvenient time.  I believe we make that choice out of fear - and the flame that is fear is fanned by lies.

The biggest lie is the one based on the idea that we need to have the freedom and the right  to end a pregnancy and/or otherwise walk away from the consequences of sexual intercourse in order to be empowered, to be legally equal to a man.  We were told that unless we could do that we would be forever trapped by our biology.  What we failed to recognize is that only immoral men walk away from their children and the women they have sexual relations with; how could we call ourselves truly free if we found that freedom on being able to do something wrong?

ALTERNATIVES

What would happen if every woman faced with a pregnancy that is unplanned had access to support in all areas of her life?  

More importantly, what would happen if a woman was not told that having that baby will interfere with her career, her schooling, her future - that she could not win that Golden Globe if she had a baby...that she would not get that promotion or that degree or otherwise be able to support herself if she has that baby....and if she doesn't want that baby for whatEVER reason, what would happen if she was allowed to put that child up for adoption and the child was able to have access to their medical history and the story of a courageous mother who chose life for that child rather than give in to pressure to kill her in order to achieve an award, a degree or a good job?

People always yell about rape and incest - as though those are the main reasons a woman chooses to get an abortion - but what about making sure that anyone who commits a crime against a woman which results in pregnancy are permanently removed from that woman's life? How about making the crime the focus and not the innocent child?

We need to have a reasonable discussion about this issue and stop screaming at each other.  

Lives are at stake.


No comments: