Thursday, August 27, 2020

Aging in The Church

 https://www.usccb.org/about/national-religious-retirement-office/upload/Engaging-Aging-Newsletter-Spring-2020.pdf

I fell in love with this article.  Written by Sister Jean Flannelly, SC, M.T.S., PhD., it gives some great orderly direction to those of us beginning the next stage of our lives - the "Invisible Stage".   I especially love the suggestion that, as we begin our transition to life as an Older Catholic, we can begin to "Pray Our Life History".   The idea of praying our personal, historical timeline and thanking God for His presence at every stage of our magnificent lives is not only a positive way to regard our new life status but also a way to humbly and thoroughly acknowledge that if it wasn't for Him, you'd be reading someone else's blog thoughts right now.

My history affects my present.  My present may not be what I would like but it is what I have NOW.   By praying my personal history, I have a chance to not only thank God for being with me at my darkest and most dangerous moments, times when my life continued 'by seconds and inches' as Norm used to say, but it allows me to see that I continue to grow.  I am still a wonder, a work in progress.  The work may be slower and there might be less 'Ah Ha!' moments but the pruning continues.  

Being an older member of the parish has its disadvantages and its advantages.  I do not have to get involved in anything that I know I cannot do.  That means less chance for frustration and less opportunity to end up in the Emergency Room.  No, I cannot build that booth.  Sorry, you need to get one of those 45 year olds who can still do push-ups on their knuckles to lift that 50 lb. water bottle.  However, the good news is that what I do choose to involve myself in for service can be just a rewarding AND allow me more of a chance to practice humility.  The chances are my work will be quieter, more behind the scenes.  Rarely will anyone ask me to give a repeat performance of my rendition of 'Roll With It, Baby' at the Parish Festival.  However, they will more than likely want to know if I will be there to hear their 8 year old play Row Row Row Your Boat on the cello.  You know why?  Because that little one asked, "Will Miss Leslie be there?".

I also have to come to an acceptance that people younger than me have a very dim view of history.  It will not be unusual to hear a 45 year old man, on fire for his faith, talk about how feminism ruined the family but have absolutely no historical memory of how feminism took root in our hearts.  I can remember saying to one such man, "It is very seldom that a free person feels the need to be liberated".  Yes, it can happen - lies can be believed - but lies rooted in some tiny little bit of truth are the most dangerous lies.  SO, in many areas of parish life I often choose to keep my mouth shut.  The kids don't want to hear it.  

That's okay - not all of them had the advantage I had of living with a parent who would say, "Yes, but Leslie let me tell you what we were going through during the war" whenever I had a thought about the present.  And I could listen to her, and get a sense of why the world ended up the way we are right now.  Her perspective gave ME perspective.  As a result, I wanted to listen - not to prove how much better everything was 'back in the good ol' days' but to understand better the whys of today.  

Praying my personal history allows me, also, to see more and more of my past through the eyes of Faith.  I can be grateful today for the mess that 1987 was because it lead directly to 1992 and eventually to 1994 and so on and so forth until I sit now, at a keyboard, and think,  "Ok.  Life is OK.  I am OK.  God is right here and I am doing exactly what I am supposed to do right this minute".

If you want a different perspective on aging as a Catholic, reach the article.   I am going to start praying my personal history.  

I have a lot to thank Him for - and I am going to get started.

No comments: