Monday, July 29, 2019

Learning

How do you learn?

I learn by doing, by hearing, by writing down instructions and following them carefully over and over again.

I hear, I read, I think it through and I compare what I am handed to my practical experience.

I love to learn.  I am open to hearing whatever you have to offer me.  If I think it is interesting, I will ask questions.  If I detect anger and hatred as your foundation, I will usually just smile and move along.  If you present your angry and hate-fueled information as Truth, I will challenge you.

It sometimes takes me a long time to learn something.  I wish I could claim I only make a mistake one time but that would be a lie - I have made the same mistake over and over again.  I don't do it on purpose.  It is usually cleverly disguised by rationalization and fear but eventually I will get it.  It may take me awhile, but I learn.

Sometimes, I worry about whether or not I am stretching myself.  Especially when the latest groovy thing hits the Catholic Blog O'Sphere.  The latest is Demons.  Everyone is talking about, writing about and speaking about Demons. You are either for Demons or Against Demons and apparently it all has something to do with loving/hating Vatican II and taking Communion in the Hand.  It is the weirdest thing to witness - grown men who all will spend at least half a page telling you how much they LOVE Holy Mother Church ripping each other to shreds over whether or not we should listen to Demons, believe in Demons, write down what Demons say or ignore Demons.

I find it just dumb enough to ignore and that is what worries me about me.  Maybe I should be as worried about this stuff as these guys all seem to be but I just cannot muster up the energy.

But I try - and I try by trying to learn.  I keep reading and listening and working hard to keep an open mind.  I try to 'stay teachable' in the parlance of my 12 Step Program.  I stay willing to listen to what you have to say.  If I have questions, I will ask them..but if I suspect that what is really going on is an advancement of a personal agenda?

I guess I will conclude that you are controlled by a Demon...and give it the attention I think it deserves.




No comments: