Thursday, June 11, 2015

Saying Good Bye to Childhood

This morning I received word that two icons from my childhood are gone. 

Christopher Lee and Dusty Rhodes both passed away.  Both were celebrated actors - one on the silver screen and one in the wrestling ring - and both gave me hours of pleasurable ways to pass the time as a lonely kid.

The old Pinewood Studios in England pumped out some amazingly funky horror films in the 60's and 70's.  Christopher Lee was one of the most interesting actors to play Dracula, and he kept popping up in all kinds of situation.  Dracula met everyone at Pinewood and Mr. Lee played the character with grace, charm, humor and dignity.  He was a joy to watch.

Dusty Rhodes (and Saphire) danced his way around the professional wrestling ring with such great aplomb that everything he did made you smile.  How a man that big could move so fast!  His bouts with Ric Flair were legendary.  He was also a joy to watch.

As odd as it may seem to those who do not know me well, for someone like me to be a fan of both an iconic English actor and a professional wrestler is not that big a stretch.  I love a good story line and both of these performers gave whatever story line they were given their utmost attention.

How cool is that?

Rest in Peace, Christopher and Dusty.  May you each hear the words, "Well done my good and faithful servants".

No comments: