Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Step Three and Why it is Important

Meditate on the horrors of Hell, which will last for eternity because of one easily-committed mortal sin. Try hard to be among the few who are chosen. Think of the eternal flames of Hell, and how few there are that are saved.

- Saint Benedict Joseph Labre (1748-1784)
I have behaved in a selfish and self-centered manner, stepping on the toes of my fellows and causing them to retaliate.
I have no excuse.  I acted out of fear and self-pity.  I started the ball rolling and those who have chosen to take themselves as far from me as possible are right to do so.
I made my amends - which, to those who wonder, is NOT an apology.  I admitted my wrongs and made the promise that it will not happen again.  I pledged my undying love and loyalty. 
I do not deserve to be forgiven by humans but I know I have been forgiven by God.  I am so grateful for the people in my 12 Step group who do not give up on me and help me, with love, to see where I went off the rails.
Tomorrow is a new day.  While I know I have a solid foundation of sobriety and am surrounded by  my sober and my Catholic family, it is still important to be open and honest about my failings.  If I am not, I could drink again.
And I am determined to die a sober woman.
Thank you for your prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an AMAZING example of justice in action. Thank you for your honesty...and for everything else you do! HUGS

Anonymous said...

You are an AMAZING example of justice in action. Thank you for your honesty...and for everything else you do! HUGS