Thursday, January 8, 2015

Horror in Paris

I am so saddened by the events in Paris.  I am angry that anyone, anyone, would blame the victims by suggesting that they knew this type of thing would anger Muslims and so should never have printed offensive cartoons.

I have been trying to phrase my response in an appropriate manner but I found that someone else has done so for me.  I am quoting from a blog post by Thomas L. McDonald.

 
Quote: "There’s nothing gained by sloppy sentimentality at moments like this. Charlie Hebdo and its staff were no friends to anyone of belief. They were cynical, nihilistic, and blasphemous, as is their right in our post-Enlightenment, pluralistic world. This relativistic individuality may or not be a good and healthy  thing, but now isn’t the time for that debate.

What’s obvious is that these writers, editors, and cartoonists were able to offend Christians and Jews without any fear of reprisal. They published one of the most offensive cartoons I’ve ever seen. I’ll link it here, but be warned in advance: it shows Jesus (crown of thorns, holes in his hands and feet) sodomizing God the Father and being sodomized in turn by the “Holy Spirit.”

There’s no deeper meaning in the image: it’s just a child’s outburst.  It’s offensive, yet I never considered killing anyone over it. My religion makes it clear that kind of reaction would be a violation of God’s laws. Islam, however, is considerably less clear on the subject, with both the Koran and the Hadith offering dozens of passages alternately urging violence and peace. And therein lies of the problem of the West’s long and violent interaction with Islam."

For more, please click on:

 
 
I have stated many times to people that the differences between 'us' and 'them' are many.  Pointing them out is not bigotry; rather it is confronting an uncomfortable truth.  We have been at war with Islam for centuries.  The Crusades, for which we Catholics get beaten up over all the time, were not called forth in a vacuum.  The Siege of Vienna and the Battle of Lupanto really happened.  We need to recognize this, call it for what it is and stop blaming the victims who have the audacity to stand up as free men and women and assert their independence from fear.
 
I am regularly offended and hurt by the nasty, out of context and poorly researched assertions made against my fellow Catholics and Holy Mother Church.  I would never, in a million years, consider going over to the person's home or place of business, machine gun in hand, and killing the perpetrator and anyone else that happens to be standing around because I am offended.  If I did that, I would be a bad Catholic.
 
My heart breaks for France.
 

No comments: