Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy Birthday to Jesus, John and me!

Three important birthdays in a row happened over the weekend; the first belonging to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  We celebrated His special day with weeks of preparation: party lights to chase away winter gloom, beautiful trees decorated inside and outside the house, an Advent Wreath (courtesy of our old friend and major tantrum thrower, Father Luther) and, finally,  The Sacrifice of The Holy Mass.  Being able to join in with our fellow Catholics and pray that magnificent prayer is the highlight of my week on a normal occasion but there is something so stunningly beautiful about being able to celebrate it with my Catholic Family on the day the Church proclaims as the commemoration of His Birth.

There were some tears on Sunday.  My Nigerian relatives suffered horribly on Christmas day as Islamic Terrorists attacked and murdered them for trying to do what I take for granted; practice our religion.  I know I stand on the shoulders of giants and now I ask that the Holy Martyrs of Nigeria pray for me and for mine as they stand before the throne of God.

Mom and I celebrated with my sister-in-law and the kids.  Ryan, home from the Army for two weeks, was an added treat and we had a fabulous evening on December 24th.

On the 25th, after Mass, Mom and I treated ourselves to a breakfast out and then a movie.  We went and saw "We Bought a Zoo" with Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansen.  Fabulous movie.  One of those films you don't want to end.  I felt like it was perfect for the day because I always fight a little bit of depression at the holidays - probably because we have to go-go-go and I do not get much of a chance to just sit and be still.

On the 26th I celebrated 56 years of life.  I called my brother, John, and sang Happy Birthday to him as he celebrated 50 years of life.  It was sad being separated from him but it is what it is right now and I have had to put that entire situation in to the hands of God.  I can't fix it, I can't change it...I can only love him with a Love that comes from Truth and hope that he returns to that Truth before it is too late.

Life is good.  I bought two pairs of pants in the petite sizes and three tops on my birthday.  I am looking great though I feel like a giant piece of sponge today - huge and squishy.  I did not sleep well, and so am trying to stay awake at work without becoming grumpy.  Not easy.

Tonight will be foo foo night.  I will take calls, wash my hair and probably hit the sack early.  I only work three days this week.  I think I can make it...

Thank you, Jesus, for Your grace and Love....please do not leave us orphans, especially those who pretend they do not need You....they are the neediest of all.

No comments: